Sunday, June 17, 2012

Hands Off


12th March 2012
Dear Cassi,

The other day someone made a fuss over my policy of never touching people’s belongings at work. This is a hard rule to follow given that I have to check bags and pockets as folks come in, but it is for my own protection.
       
The first point I need to make is that if I never touch the bag then I cannot be accused of removing its contents. Some of the bags have cash and valuables. These could come up missing and then I could be accused. If I never come in contact with the bag then I can never be accused.
       
Second, there could be something in that bag I have no wish to handle or that could be dangerous. Needles and razorblades can provide a hazard to the prying hand. The bag could have come in contact with body fluids. Sure, I use hand sanitizer and wash my hands commonly. Still, I have no wish to have E. coli or salmonella on my skin. The other day I had a cut on my hand and had failed to notice until I used hand sanitizer and felt the sting.

I can use gloves, sure, but they are not puncture proof. Why take a risk with my health and well being? I keep my hands off bags and ask folks to open them for me. I still find what I’m looking for if they have contraband.

As a Safety and Security Officer I make it a point to be professional about my job. I set an example for my coworkers and clients. This has never given me a leg up, but, as I say, good men die hard.

Stay safe, little sister




Richard Leland Neal
Also updating today!
Random Street Theater a Comic

No comments:

Post a Comment