Friday, June 15, 2012

George Washington’s Rules: Put Not Your Hands


10th March 2012
Dear Cassi,
           
Today I commit to memory George Washington’s second rule of civil and decent behavior “When in Company, put not your Hands to any Part of the Body, not usually Discovered.” This I feel is simpler than “Every action done in company, ought to be with some sign of respect, to those who are present.”
       
The second rule is simple; keep our hands out of the dirty zones of the body. I have never had a problem with that as a grown man, but I picked my nose as a child and I paid dearly for it in embarrassment.
       
Then I do know this has been a problem with some. It tends to be a sign of mental illness in those who are grown and sensible so playing with oneself is understood to be wrong. It may even go further as to say that one should, in general, keep their hands off their body when in public.
       
I grant that everyone gets and itch from time to time but still it never looks good when a fellow scratches his arm or chin. It makes others want to scratch. I will grant there are occasions when one needs to scratch or adjust or what not. Still, these are better done in private if possible. 
       
“When in Company, put not your Hands to any Part of the Body, not usually Discovered,” is not a rule I needed to hear, but I have met folks who needed a firm talking to in that notion.

Stay safe, little sister




Richard Leland Neal 

No comments:

Post a Comment