Wednesday, January 30, 2013

A Girl and Her Note


28th May 2012
Dear Cassi,
       
Do you remember a time when you were young and gave nicknames to so many folks? I know I haven’t written about middle school in a moment or two, but a thought came rolling to me when I saw a girl in tight jeans.
       
In middle school I knew a rather chubby girl who would wear these tight tapered jeans every day. She looked rather good in strait legs but the tapers just made her look fat.
       
At first Potato Head had a thing for her. He had heard a story about one of her male friends seeing her with her shirt off and wrote her a note asking about it which I delivered.
       
As she was a girl with flesh to spare and she was one of the first to grow a chest which she had to shame in showing. That and gray denim stretched over those two cantaloupes must have made Potato go nuts. This meant nothing to me as I have always, even then, been a hard one to impress.
       
Now I think back and every third moment I sat “what was I thinking” or “gross” but when you’re thirteen I guess wanting to do whatever thirteen year old should do together is okay.
       
In any case, this chubby girl made a bee line for me once I left the note and was convinced that I had written it grilling me for more than an hour. I had promised not to disclose the writer and so was rather determined to keep mu silence.
       
Potato on the other hand came off with it himself and she was insulted and upset. Further she had stated that she had been so young at the time that she had no chest to see. The boy who had seen her ivory skin we all thought was gay anyway.
       
I got the impression that the chubby girl had her eyes fixed on me brining us back to the conversation even after Potato had set her strait. I can only imagine how ugly of a couple we would have made. It would have been like two white elephants snuggling.
       
For the next two years Potato called her buffalo chips. I guess he was a spurned lover. I wish folks could get past that mentality, but I doubt anyone ever does.

Know when to be mature, little sister,


Richard Leland Neal

No comments:

Post a Comment