Friday, January 18, 2013

First Day of Grad School


4th January 2012
Dear Cassi,

Well, today is my first day of grad school and this online business is the pits, but it’s better than nothing. I’m going to this place because I’ll pay half of what I would pay any place else, but I would still rather go down to a classroom and hear a lecture. 
       
Today I put together my online profile and described myself to the other students. How much this description will make a difference I cannot say. Like many of my online works this may be just another voice in the darkness. Folks from all around the world go to my Grad school and they insist I put up a photograph of myself so that these folks can know me by site.
       
The online world can never replace real life. It exists in the world of over worked, under informed, super consumers who go about their lives in a fog of exhaustion trying to do no more than survive.
       
The more labor saving devices that exist in our world the more we have to work every day. The technology that makes our lives better only serves to chain us to it and the cart we once pulled as laborers is now a mass of digital bights.
       
I don’t know what this new iteration of technology will hold for me. The road ahead is dark and shrouded in trees. Still, I know that I will walk it no matter what the footing will be, and find my way to its end.


Stay safe, Cassi,





Richard Leland Neal  

No comments:

Post a Comment