Monday, April 29, 2013

Broken Glass


29th July 2012
Dear Cassi,
       
The most bizarre thing happened to me when I was washing dishes. A glass broke apart in my hand. I was rinsing it under the tap when it just came apart into bits in my hand. There was nothing I could have bumped it on. It just happened.
       
That would have been all right except for the shard that went down into the water. This cup had horizontal rings and the glass broke along them leaving thin slivers with very sharp edges.
       
I pulled the drain stopper to let the dirty water out and it just sat there as if I had done nothing. I fished my hand into the sink to see the obstruction and found shards of glass. They slashed through my fingertip and opened a few more cuts on my hand. I put what glass I had in the recycling bin and pulsed the irater to get the sink to drain.
       
It worked, but my bleeding and open wounds were far too tender to hold under water for long. I washed my hand and put on latex gloves then both finished with the dishes and with some cooking I was doing at the time. I had to bag most of it up because I had planned to make a good amount of it so I could freeze some for Pickles.
       
Another downer to this situation was that I found typing my homework hard and so turned it in late. I should have turned it in yesterday to be honest but I had so much work to do that I got side tracked.
       
I tried to get my work done but my wound broke open and stained my keyboard red. That was when I figured on the gloves. I had taken some time way from the kitchen to sit down and work because I needed to get off my feet.
       
When I finally got things put away so that nothing would spoil I took three sleeping pills and nodded off to sleep for six hours. It still hurt to type when I woke up but it only took ten minutes to finish my homework. I was very glad when it was over.

Stay safe, little sister


Richard Leland Neal

No comments:

Post a Comment