Friday, May 25, 2012

Our Little War


14th February 2012
Dear Cassi,

On my list of foolish things I did as a young man is an event that took place over about three days during the first Gulf War. I was ten or eleven and we the children had our own little war without real sides or fighting but more the buildup of arms.
   
In our own little war we collected rocks and separated them by size and gave the sizes names. I recall that we had scuds and patriots, but what other names we may have used I have long lost in my fading memory.
   
I recall the largest rocks as being softball sized bits of concrete. We could have killed with them had we ever thrown them. What they were doing in the school yard was a good question.
   
I do recall that they had been the byproduct of some construction. An apparatus that had been built with adults sizes in mind and had no use on a child’s play ground then it made little difference because it was torn apart by the local gangs.
           
There were no battles in our little war but who needs battles when you have a buildup of arms. The nature of children and our glorification of war is an odd thing given the horror of reality.
   
Then I do recall having rocks thrown at me as a child. The first time I ran away, the second I stood my ground, the third I ran after the attacker making it clear that there activity would be met with force. Sometimes aggression is the answer, but what I would have done had I caught my attacker is anyone’s guess.

Stay safe, little sister



Richard Leland Neal

No comments:

Post a Comment