Wednesday, May 9, 2012

I Woke from Illness


28th January 2012
Dear Cassi,
         
I woke from illness today with my tongue swollen and my skin dry and crusted. My body had done some work over the night and I was feeling the drain of its labor. I noted also soreness in my mouth and a white spot on the left side of my tongue that looked something like a pimple.
         
The next surprise of the day was that I had difficulty talking. It was in no way an inability, but clearly the soreness and swelling changed the sound of my voice.
         
Feeling down in the dumps over this lasted manifestation of my illness I turn to my usual form of comfort: fast food. To my surprise my mouth objected. The salt made my mouth sting in parts and I could hardly chew.
         
As the day dragged on I was more and more perturbed by the pain in my mouth and took to bighting and scratching at the white spot on my tongue. This did nothing so I stood in front of the mirror with a knife and cut the lump by running the blade along my tongue. I could see a small amount of puss run into my saliva.
         
I pressed on with this hoping to clear the wound, but got no more than a line of blood. This had taken some of the pain away. Still there is more but my homework is calling, so I must bid you adieu.

Stay safe, little sister




Richard Leland Neal

No comments:

Post a Comment