Monday, May 7, 2012

The Anatomy of a Lie: Interruption


24th January 2012
Dear Cassi,

Have I ever discussed with you the anatomy of a lie that is interruption? The nature of lies have lain heavily upon me in these last few years and so I have looked at them with greater interest. How have lies hurt us both? Well, there is no question as to their sting, but the interruption of truth is the most devious lie one can tell.
         
When I went into the office at my old work and had to talk to Rusty what did he do? Yelled, screamed, and never let me talk. Why? If I cannot speak then I cannot defend myself. It is so easy to win an argument against the voiceless.
         
This was a tactic of your ex-husband, that Turtle Nose freak, when he finally broke the silence after a year and a half of lying to others to get at me. I recall that part of the conversation so well.
         
“If you won’t talk to me,” he said.
         
“I told you to call…” and he cut me off mid sentence.
         
“I called you three times, and I didn’t know you where upset until my grandmother…” he lied. He stopped at that point trailing off and digging for sympathy.   
         
His best friend had passed the last three weeks without a word to him and he was unaware the man was upset. Even he must have known how bad a lie this was and still I had told him I would be absent from his company unless he called and left a message informing me of his plans. If he had forgotten why did he not enquire as to my absence, because he felt my presence in his life was unimportant?
         
No, the truth is that I had asked him for something, and he made it a point to never do as I asked. It was the cornerstone of his lie that I was always saying no to him. That, however, is a topic for another day.

Live true, little sister

Richard Leland Neal

Also updating today!
Jonny American a webcomic
Random Street Theater a Comic

No comments:

Post a Comment