Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Dances with Dishwasher


12th February 2012
Dear Cassi,

I’m writing to you rather than finishing my homework for Life and Human Development. Then, I would have been done by now if I hadn’t had to watch my dishwasher’s instillation. I was there to help hand my neighbor tools as he put the thing in but you would think Paul could have done the job. After all how much brain power does it take? However, every time I tried to leave the situation to him in a moment I would be called back to deal with something or other.  
   
On the up side the job was done right. My dishwasher was a mess and problems had to be attended. The old machine had been hardwired, and hardwiring is dangerous as it’s much harder to ensure that the power is off. Paul would have let it slide, but I made the point that with the thing open it was time to get the work done.
   
Then we found a leak in the cold water valve. I asked for its replacement, and Paul had a look on his face like he wanted to kill me. I know it was a few more dollars, but the leak would only do more damage if it was left to run.
   
It took leverage wrenches to get the valve free, but the nipple behind it was rusted and crushed under the wrench. It had to come out. My neighbor tried and tried to wrench it, but all that would happen is the pipe would bend. I suggested magnetic solvent, but he said that it would only work if we wanted to leave the pipe for a few minutes. I made the point that we had been trying for at least a quarter of an hour to get the nipple free and it had failed. He could move on to another repair and let the solvent sit.
   
He did as I said and the bit of old rusted pipe came away easily. Within was a garden of brown and red that I would have found charming had it not been a part of my kitchen sink.

Well, off to my homework

                                   


Richard Leland Neal

No comments:

Post a Comment