Sunday, September 11, 2011

My 9/11 Story


Saturday is normally off limits for Letters to Cassi, but this experience is one I will never forget.

Best wishes to all those who lost loved ones in the attack and the events that took place afterword.

11th September 2011
Dear Cassi,

America today sits and reflects on the events of ten years ago wondering how the world has changed. I can still recall the events of that day clearly.
   
I was painting the bed room so the bed was moved out and I was sleeping in my favorite chair when my brother-in-law, he was still my sister’s boyfriend at the time, woke me to show me the news of the towers going down. I didn’t understand at first.
   
Then I got the call to come into work. I was ordered to report to the department of public works. When I arrived I was enlisted in the evacuation of the building. I recall thinking to myself that the danger was small after the attack. The possibility of another attack the same day was a remote one, but in truth it was better to be safe than sorry.  
   
I was relieved by an armed security officer a few hours later, but was ordered to report to a chemical plant. I spent and uneventful day there. The attack had created a need for security officers. Everyone wanted to be safe, but the average pay for security personnel dropped after 9/11.
   
How did the world change? For the average Security Guard it’s still the same. It’s an under-appreciated but necessary job.


Stay safe, Cassi,




Richard Leland Neal

No comments:

Post a Comment