Friday, September 16, 2011

College?


What is this? Three letters to Cassi in a row, and I have even been posting irregularly. Not that any of the people who read this take the opportunity to comment.

In any case, I’m hoping that I’ve broken my depression and started recovery. That’s not an easy thing in this economy.

Well, this is about private colleges and their level of suck. Student beware.

5th September 2011
Dear Cassi,

Over the past few weeks I’ve been looking to further my education by attending a grad school. The only problem with this idea is that the school I have the most chance of attending are the private universities. These schools are a world apart from what they were before the online integration.
    
The first and foremost problem is that most of these schools are not as reputable as there state and nonprofit counterparts, and tend to take a factory look at education. Their goal is to get as many people enrolled as possible. Many of these students are unprepared for college, and they pay their way through student loans. The average student comes away from these programs with more than thirty thousand dollars in debt. Once more, the online schools have the highest default rate on those loans.
    
These schools gear there cost to student loans and make their money from the generosity of the government. The only problem with this is that it’s harder to get a job with a degree from one of these universities. These schools are a stepladder up from the lower levels of society, but a stepladder with rungs missing that shakes when you try to climb.
    
Now I have three of these schools calling after me, and still they may be the best option I have to better myself. This world is a mess of bad ideas and faint hopes. I have no idea what to do with my life, but then neither does the rest of the world.

Stay safe, Cassi,


Richard Leland Neal

No comments:

Post a Comment