LTC Leaderboard

Monday, September 5, 2011

The CALPCC Not the BBS

Imagine my surprise when I learned that not the BBS, the agency that will license me to become a Mental Health Counselor, but the CALPCC website, which is named after the license, is the place to go for information about applicable education. Unlike the BBS the CALPCC answered me.

30th August 2011

I’m currently looking for a grad school to qualify me for a license in mental health counseling.

I’m told you do not recognize a master’s degree from an online school like Grand Canyon University or Capella. Is that true?

I’m presently looking at those two online schools and Argosy University. Each program has ups and downs, but I need to know if the two online schools are even worth considering.

Do I need to get an MS or will an MA do?

Thank you for your time,

Richard Leland Neal


Please look at the requirements for the new LPCC license in CA on our website <> under The LPCC. If you will begin your degree before August 1, 2012, look at the requirements under "Before 2012". After that date the requirements go up. You can use an online degree for licensure, as long as it is accredited by a regional accrediting agency and the degree fulfills the licensure requirements. The Board of Behavioral Sciences <> will soon publish a list of programs that have submitted their programs and have been approved for the LPCC.

Dean Porter

Executive Director

In retrospect, I look like an idiot, but a big thanks to Dean Porter for answering me.