Monday, April 30, 2012

The Flirt


21st of March 2011
Dear Cassi,

In my last letter I told you about the old man who showed me the suicide note of his nephew. Today I have a less morbid topic to relay. It is the story of one of the workers I will call G to save space.
   
On my first day working at the phone shop I met G. She was a slender elegant woman who’s measurements were that of a “Lord of the Rings” elf. I can say also that she favored dark reds and that her largest physical imperfection was the spattering of acne scars on her chin.
   
G greeted me warmly at first then her actions grew rather flirty. She had a conservative manner about her, and I was more than willing to give her my affections. It was on the third day of my time on the post when I realized something wasn’t right about her advances.
   
She was cleaning the windows near where I was standing and bent towards me to give me a clear view of her modest bust line when I noticed something. It was a white mettle wedding band.
   
My first thought was that I had been mistaken, and that her flirtation was just her being nice. Then it came to me that it could be that she just liked having a ring on that finger. Either way, I simply put the whole thing in my mental store until one morning G came to work dressed as a street walker.
   
I’m not kidding, she had on fishnets with a torn spot, a black leather skirt, a pink blouse, and a darker pink bra. I commented my dislike of G’s dress to one of her fellow workers and learned that G had said that she flirted with men because she liked the attention.
   
In the end nothing was promised and nothing was lost, but my trust in humanity was dashed. In this world it’s so hard to trust people.

Sometimes I wonder if I can even trust myself



Richard Leland Neal

No comments:

Post a Comment