Friday, April 13, 2012

The Day I Lost My Job


If there is one thing writing these letters has done for me it is help to clear my head. When I wrote this my head needed clearing but it was too painful to keep writing.

As I go over it again the old wound itches a bit but I can live with the feeling.

I’m leaving most of the names in here and if they want to complain I’ll take them out. However, given that this post will do well if it sees twenty sets of eyes a code of silence will do me no good.
18th January 2011
Dear Cassi,

Well, been a bit since my last letter. Life has been hell and I kind of got knocked out of the game for a spell. I figured it was time to write another letter if for no reason other than to clear my head. It’s sad the way things played out in this another dismal chapter of my life, but what can one do?
   
Finals were looming and I was putting most of my energy into them when my friend Mario was removed from post. I came in Friday and found someone else working for him. This was a guard from (Shipping Company) Cerritos no doubt. Leach, where I was working, had been a graveyard of (Shipping Company)ers for years. Mario even called me afterwards to let me know what had happened. They told him he was off because he couldn’t use the computer. Mario was an old man who thought of pictures as being static and using typewriters. He couldn’t get with it enough to screen people.
   
Then it was my turn. I noticed that a guard had trained seven hours one Saturday morning. He had gotten in one hour after I left shift. I knew this was bad but could do nothing, as things had been set in motion. I asked my relief officer, Daniel, if he knew anything about it and he said “I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Daniel is a bad liar. He had to have seen the officer leave. I knew at that point, but I didn’t want to believe.
   
When I came in to work that night I found a folder for the new guard, Bob Harris, and it had paperwork for my shift. There could be no doubt then. I packed up all my belongings and made ready to face the office people. Scott, my boss smiled as I walked out the door.

This is all I can take of talking about this now.

Richard Leland Neal 

No comments:

Post a Comment