Monday, April 9, 2012

Working with Coauthors


Here we have another of the responses to the Blog for the ill fated Leucrota Press as small publisher who fell victim to the bad economy.

The funny thing is that will all the experience I have you’d think I’ve published something. Well, it hardly ever works out that way. I can only hope the future is brighter for me than the past.

On another note, I wish I had saved a copy of the original post to show you. Well, I never thought I would be writing about a failed publisher.
15th January 2011


Well, Lily,

I’ve worked on collaborations three times and each was a big fail. This was before I got good at RPGs but a lack of talent wasn’t the issue. The first time my writing partner refused to finish anything. I’d see a story start to emerge then he would get on something else and want to start over.

The second time I worked with a man who wouldn’t compromise on anything. He had what he wanted and I was along for the ride. Going back over that piece now days I can see that he never intended to finish it, because the editing was so bad, but the point was he wasted my time.

The last one was the most successful. I listened to his idea, wrote an outline, and then did the principle writing. The only problem was that he was too invested in his characters, and he’d keep writing in things that had nothing to do with the story. ‘That’s not what I wanted my characters to be like’ he would say to me. ‘Well, you didn’t give me anything to work with. I had to make a decision.’

Likewise, the DnD people I’ve known come up with great story, but it feels better than it reads. It’s easier to invest in a character played by someone you know over a character you have no experience with.

If you’re going to work with a coauthor its best to have someone take principle writing responsibility or have each author follow different sub plots. Let the other person give you notes not rewrite your work. I wouldn’t work with a friend either. Try not to do business with people you don’t want to lose.

The best author combinations come with a union of necessity, an established author working with a Newb for example. The Newb is kept in line by the need for the establish author, and the established author should already know how to work with people.

If you work with a friend be prepared to get to know them better than you ever have before. Get ready to see the bits they keep tucked away. The experience is worth having for an artist but can have a very bad outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment