Wednesday, April 18, 2012

I wake from Illness


6th February 2012
Dear Cassi,

This last month of illness has taken its toll on me, and for the first time I have failed to turn in my grad school assignments on time. It became necessary for me to sit in the dark as the sickness has some strange effects.
   
It came to pass somehow that the light burnt my eyes and only the darkness could give me comfort. I sat nude in this velvet void as fever kept my skin wet, and when I would wake my lips would be as leather. For the two days of my weekend I was like this in my manner only venturing into the light for short times. I had no want for food even as the swelling in my mouth had subsided. 
   
I came from this on this eve with a lighter feel to my chest and none the worse for wear save some dizziness. I still wish I could have some time off work, but I have never found that days off help me much as I spend the time in bed.
   
I was well enough to once again do dishes and that was a major boon as Paul is useless in this regard. The man is like a well behaved dog. He will not clean up after himself and he gets on people when they come over. I have no idea what I will do but I can say that there is no easy answer.

Stay safe, little sister




Richard Leland Neal

No comments:

Post a Comment