Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Yule and his Pickle

14th October 2014
Dear Cassi,
       
Pickles dropped more than one bomb of words on me yesterday. In addition to telling me that his steeling was revenge he said that he would move out and into a home with his father in at very least a year from now.
       
In my time here I believe I have never come up with a name for the old man so let me call him Yule. ‘Yule Tide’ is the old name for Christmas in the pagan world and so Yule fits a man with a long white beard and fat belly.
       
Pickles and his father Yule are to move to Chino when Yule’s lawsuit against the state finally resolves and he has the money to buy another home. They would then spend the rest of Yule’s life not far from Pony Girl. Pickles would then be servant to his ailing father.
       
As for me, Pickles says I would be left alone. I would be left to live out my life in the decaying home of my mother. The enormity of this lie is such that it looms overhead like a mountain.
       
If it pleases them they’d force me to sell, and I guess that would be the best deal I could get. Regardless, the forces of darkness have gathered and they march on my stronghold. I have time but when I close my eyes and listen I can hear them marching in the darkness.

Three hundred and sixty four days, little sister,



Richard Leland Neal

No comments:

Post a Comment