Sunday, August 21, 2016

The Monkeyshines Award

Back in 1889 or 1890 at the Edison Labs the first film in North America was shot. They called this Monkeyshines No. 1 and it was a short blurry mess with no plot or artistic function. It was just the test of a machine. 

This simple test would be the start of the whole world of film in the United States. Your Deadpool, Thor, Requiem for a Dream, Star Wars, all started here in a lab. When I learned this funny fact I looked up Monkey Shines and learned that it was the 19th Century equivalent of Monkey Business or Messing Around. The Monkey certainly shined that day. 

What does any of that have to do with an Award? Well, I'm glad you asked figment of my imagination. 

I wanted to create an award for landmarks in film. Not like the best film of the year gets one, because I think that stinks. I mean an award to goes to every film that deserves to get it not the best of the year. 

Monkeyshines no.1 changed the world of film forever and that is what I will call my award. The "Monkeyshines Award" goes to every film that brings about a major change in cinema.

You may leave a nomination in the comments below. 

Now mind you I need to get a copy of that film, watch it, do some research, and finally draw a poorly designed monkey to issue this award, but your input is appreciated. 


No comments:

Post a Comment