Monday, November 19, 2012

Letting Things Go


Some days you just have too many bills

12th November 2011
Dear Cassi,

In recent weeks I’ve felt the sting of letting things go so more deeply than before that it has become a topic of note. I had to send in a payment for grad school, pay my property tax, replace my oven, and have my heater repaired all in the same week. Doing so lefty me behind in my finances though the four digit output of a single week was not braking to my bank.
   
I will say that the chief expense was my oven and even as the cheapest of its kind with installation it would run more than a thousand dollars. That’s one of those things about ovens. They do make smaller ovens, but not gas, and the little ones are really not worth using.
   
I could have bought my oven for a few dollars less if I wanted to wait until December to have it installed. However, the saving totaling less than fifty dollars was more than it would have cost to live without the device. I make more than a few things for my salads with the oven and to buy them I would have to settle for less healthy more expensive alternatives.
   
I was in luck on one point. One of my neighbors installs ovens for a living. He built a cradle for the thing to sit on in its cabinet because this oven was shorter than the last. I could have got one with a full sized broiler, but I’ve never used a broiler and have no idea what one does with a full sized one.
   
The oven came in and he put it in the wall for me the next day. It looks a bit ugly but I’ll stain the wood to match soon. I knew I couldn’t keep using the old oven. The side wall had bent and the screws that held the door on had fallen out. I just wish I didn’t have to pay for all this at once.

Stay Safe, Cassi,


Richard Leland Neal


No comments:

Post a Comment