Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Act Like You?!


If you've read this blog regularly you know how I feel about college Professors. I’m not alone.

16th November 2011
Dear Cassi,
   
Today I ran into an acting teacher who volunteers at my work. I can’t tell you about the residents, but I can talk to you about this fellow who shared the most interesting story with me.
   
First he told me that he owns and runs a manufacturing company. He did get his degree in theater but admitted that if he really wanted to be an actor he would have moved to New York rather than go to college in that discipline.
   
He and I got to talking about my experiences as a theater student, and he said that he could relate. One of the requirements for his degree was to have stage managed a production at the college. To do that one had to interview with the director, and his story began as he was walking to the Professor’s office for said interview.
   
On his way to the stairwell he saw the director in question walk to the elevator, so he decided to follow. He got into the elevator with her and they got to talking. They spoke of nothing of interest just the humdrum of theater and the world of the arts.
   
As they talked the Professor twirled her keys on her finger. On leaving the elevator the coordination of talking, walking, and twirling proved too much for the Teacher, and her keys fell to the ground. The student picked them up and handed them back to her.
   
When the Professor learned that he was to interview for her Stage Manager she refused to see him, because he had picked up her keys. She felt that it was a sexist act and that she couldn’t work with a student who thought women were incapable of looking after themselves.
   
Women’s liberation is a wonderful thing, but every now and again the old hags make it lose its luster.

Stay safe, Cassi,


Richard Leland Neal


No comments:

Post a Comment