Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Bed Wetter


30th December 2011
Dear Cassi,

I have no delusion that this comes as a shock to you, but I was a bed wetter. I think this went on until I was six which is normal, or so I’m told, but it never feels normal at the time for the only one who wets.
   
There was one time that I remember so distinctly from as far back as four that I still have it pop into my head today. I was at preschool when this happened and we had naptime.
   
I woke up with my jeans wet in the middle of the nape with all the other students still sleeping. I looked around and stood up feeling more naked than I had ever been when I was nude and froze. I had no name for the feeling at the time, but I can tell you now that I was embarrassed.
   
Doesn’t embarrassed sound like you have your back end hanging out? You have to wonder if that’s how the word came about. Some day I’m going to look that up.
   
Back on topic, I knew I had to tell staff what had happened but when I walked away to go do that I felled so bad that I couldn’t. I said something to myself that was just thinking out loud and started walking sideways. It made me feel better but why who can say.
   
Funny things get into your head when you’re young. Then again when you get to the place in life where you once again wet the bed I figure you have some funny things in your head again.
   
My mother had to bring me another pair of pants but she never spoke of this event later. Maybe she would have if she were alive today but who can tell. Mom talked about bad things that involved folks I didn’t see every day. She rarely spoke ill of my friends or my father. I think she knew when to speak and when to be silent.


Say safe, Cassi,


Richard Leland Neal  

No comments:

Post a Comment