Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Hay Mr. Book Geek


I believe this letter was never mailed. I wrote it hoping to help a book geek who was screwing himself over by practicing poor judgment in moderation. Well, we live and learn. Just remember that the learning part is really important if you’re going to do a lot of the living part.



26th May 2017

Mr. (Book Geek),

It would appear from the fact that there are no more books to review on your website that your publishing company is all but defunct with only your previously published titles remaining for the public. Well, that is the world we live in and I hope one day you can open again for publication.

In that vein, I have to point out that group moderation, book screening, and overall management of the site needed improvement. If you ever get things back up and running addressing these things should be a number one priority.

I know I once sent you an email about what you could do to improve things, and I’ll avoid covering those topics over again. Still, one issue that needed resolution was the whole spelling thing. By that I mean the fact that I got a letter from your site telling me my book met requirements for spelling and grammar and yet reviewers, even your employees, mentioned spelling issues.

A higher standard for spelling would probably be a good idea. After I reviewed my manuscript I saw that it indeed had a number of spelling issues that I should have addressed.  To be honest, I had sent it off expecting to get a rejection and hoping to send in a copy after the next edit to see if I had improved. My book needed some major editing before being viewed.

The second point in this is that moderators really should have mentioned to reviewers that all the books on the site had been cleared for spelling, and that spelling issues should not be accounted in reviews. It’s just one of those things that everyone needs to be on the same page.

I would have to say that even further; a review should only be placed on the site after a moderator has read that review and checked it for politeness.  I have never read a book on your site that I honestly thought was worth publication. I gave honest reviews, I know that much, but given how my own work was treated I feel I offended someone.

I hope things turn out well for you,



Richard Leland Neal 

No comments:

Post a Comment