Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Infection

16th July 2013
Dear Cassi,
        
It would be some great understatement to say I’ve been in a slump for the past two months. As it stands at this very moment I am seventeen days behind on Random Street Theater and the nature of that comic demands that every day be filled with something. 

For a part, I can blame the heat. The heat is a pounding thing pressing my energy from me like a press taking oil from an olive. My clothing is often stained with the salts of my body and this often makes my working more difficult. I could shower but would find my body only tainted again with the salts that leave white rings in my shirts and a film on my skin. 

Another aggravation is that the skin of my right leg has become irritated. The skin itches and the pairs became sickbed over, but I dare not scratch for fear that this is a sub dermal infection. Scratching will only make the problem worse.

Sadly this is the nature of my work with the homeless. Illness is common and the dirt of the world will find it way to me, drive itself into my skin, and make me ill. What can we do but press on?

Stay strong, little sister,

Richard Leland Neal 

No comments:

Post a Comment