Friday, March 2, 2012

Mop Thief


1st February 2012
Dear Cassi,

In the annuals of cheep people no person holds a place like my stepmother. I recall one occasion after my mother’s death my stepmother came over and decided to teach us to make cornbread. Well, she made cornbread with the three children of her husband, but the reason she gave escapes me.
   
We baked all day and filled the kitchen table with the fruit of our labors. The bread was so tempting a thing that my old dog misty jumped up on the table and got a few bites out of one of the cakes. She used up all my sugar and cornmeal then packed up all we had made and took it home.
   
What could all that have been worth? A few dollars, fifteen at best, but as she was stilling from children who were not her own it was worth it to her. Then I recall Amber steeling half used rolls of toilet paper from her work so I guess some folks just steel to steel.
   
There was another occasion that strikes my memory where we needed a new refrigerator. We got one that day, and my stepmother was so angry that we had gotten something expensive that she stole my mop. How evil do you have to be?

Stay safe, Cassi


Richard Leland Neal

No comments:

Post a Comment