Friday, March 9, 2012

Dog's Eye


So, I stumbled on an old file folder with a few of these kinds of things in it written in mid 2007 as class assignment. I’d show you the responses but the school took them down.

In any case, I wrote this to be how my dog feels about this blanket.

It’s cold here in the dark, the cold that makes pain in my legs. I press my nose against my belly and wish for the summer. Summer with its worm breath and the scent of grass to lull me to sleep. Even on the darkest nights it’s not as dark as it is in here now. I have my nose to find my food and my water is never far away but I’m too cold to be hungry anyway. At least my bedding is fresh. It’s a small comfort during the cold time of the year, much like being in here, but at least I sleep on something warm, it’s better then freezing out side.
         
I hear the door handle turn and raise my head as the door slides open. It’s the big man in his dark night pelt. “Stay, August” he says as he flips on the lights and walks in. “That’s a good dog,” he lays a hand on my head and rubs the cold from my ears. I respond to him with a happy growl and lay my head back down.
         
My heart leaps as he billows out a big woolly blanket and settles it over me. Aaahhhh, warm at last, he scratches my head through the fabric and tucks it in around me. “Right then, sleep tight,” I listen to his foots steps as he walks off and closes the door.
         
I poke my nose out of the warmth to feel the cool of the night content in this world. Even the summer cannot be this sweet. I nod off to sleep wishing the morning would never come. I love it here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment