Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Hard Questions


This letter was never mailed because it was never finished I was just to busted up at the time and I couldn’t get much of anything done.

Let me be honest here, I was trying to use my injury at work to gain sympathy from my professors, but the addressee was a hard feminist and as I’m a male she had no use for me.  Or that’s what her male underlings said. I do have to admit she hired a few teachers, all of them female, who were unready to work as professors.

It is possible however that their foul teaching style was due to their greenness and the fact that they were theater teachers.

I would like to make the point that the reason for an education to provide the economy with able bodied workers with the brains to do the job. Theater education on the other hand is welfare for hippies who don’t want to admit that they are hippies.

3rd March 2008

Dear (Theatre Arts Department Chair),

Sitting here wondering how I’m going to get my homework done during tech week I remembered that need some advice? Help? I don’t really know how to put it. I tried discussing these issues with (My advisor) but she can’t seem to give me definitive answers. I’m sorry, I know I shouldn’t be bothering you with this stuff but I really have no one else.

I had hoped to slow down and take less units because of the problems I’m having working full time and going to school but then I got injured at work. I held post for six hours soaked to the skin in my own blood and had to do a lot of thinking about the future.

Basically, every time I ask about getting a job with my degree people keep telling me that “no one does this for the money.” Look, I’m a security guard for the money, and I think if you told your teachers they wouldn’t get paid they’d stop coming to class.

Now, if I’m not going to be able to support myself with a degree in theatre then I need to commit to a second major, and I need to do so before the summer.

I did try play writing as a supplement. Figured that I’d get my name out there with live theatre then move on to movies. It was a long shot but gave me at least some justification to take an extra year in getting my degree, but that was a disaster. 

No comments:

Post a Comment