Monday, June 10, 2024

Great Barrier Reef - Whitehaven Beach

Whitehaven Beach is truly white and definitely a haven. The first thing I wanted to do when the catamaran arrived was jump in the aquamarine water. The water was so clear I could see the bottom for miles, and as soon as I touched the beach with my feet, I could hear the sand squeaking between my toes.

The sand was remarkably cool to the touch, somewhat unusual given the high temperatures. It is likely to do with its composition. Unlike any other beaches in the Whitsundays, where the sand is coarser, Whitehaven has fine white sand that is 98% silica. Geologists believe that the sand drifted along the Queensland coast, just like the sand on Fraser Island, millions of years ago. As the sea levels rose and fell, over time, the freshwater washed away any impurities leaving behind this perfectly soft sandy beach for us to enjoy.

At the north end of Whitehaven Beach was the entrance to Hill Inlet, composed of huge swirls of sand and pale blue-green water. Best seen from Hill Inlet Lookout, it was a short hike through dense rainforest. The views from the top were exquisite, with three viewing platforms providing different vantage points. Keeping my eyes peeled, I searched for the chance to see stingrays gliding in the clear waters below.

Not satisfied with just one lookout, I walked the length of the beach, about 4mi (7km) to the southern end. Once there, I hiked up to the South Whitehaven Lookout for views of the nearby Teague and Haslewood Islands.

Hanging out at Whitehaven Beach was heavenly. I enjoyed frolicking in its waters and checking out the tiny fish going about their business.



PS. Experience our virtual challenges in real life - The Conqueror Adventures

The team at The Conqueror Challenges
https://www.theconqueror.events

No comments:

Post a Comment