Friday, June 7, 2024

Great Barrier Reef - Hamilton Island

Hamilton Island is located in the heart of the Great Barrier Reef and the Whitsunday Islands. Imagine swaying palm trees, white sandy beaches, and easily accessible coral reefs. The Traditional Owners of the Whitsundays were the Ngaro people. In the mid-1800s, Europeans settled in the region as sugarcane farmers, graziers, and loggers. By the late 20th century Hamilton Island was turned into a tourist destination. Privately owned, only a third of the island is developed. The rest remains in its pristine, natural condition.

Like my walk on Great Keppel Island, I chose to hike the many trails on Hamilton Island. Starting at the Scenic Trail Entrance near Catseye Beach, the first trail was to Resort Lookout. It is the second highest point on the island, with views over the resort, the marina, the airport, Dent Island and Henning Island.

Heading east towards Saddle Junction, I took a slight detour for a quick pit stop at Flat Top Hill Lookout, with views both north and south of the island. Back on the track at Saddle Junction, I took a southwest turn to reach the secluded Coral Cove beach with views toward Lindeman Island. I found an oversized swing chair in the sand here, a perfect place to sit and swing while enjoying the crystal-clear waters.

Back on the trail, I hiked through the junction again, taking an easterly turn to tackle the many stairs that led up to Passage Peak. It is the highest point on the island, with incredible 360-degree views of the Whitsunday Islands.

From Passage Peak, I travelled south through the dense bush that opened to rocky cliffs. Right at the trail's end was the scenic spot, South East Head, with an enormous wooden chair that just called for me to sit and take in the ocean views.

With my hiking complete, it was time to cool off at Catseye Beach. I plan to snorkel toward the reef, searching for turtles. I am told they love eating the seagrass here, so my chances of seeing one are very good.



PS. Experience our virtual challenges in real life - The Conqueror Adventures

The team at The Conqueror Challenges
https://www.theconqueror.events

No comments:

Post a Comment