Monday, September 10, 2018

Devium

4th November 2017
Dear Cassi,

A friend of mine is losing her apartment. It falls on me as one of the few folks who care to help her with finding a home for her two cats before she moves to another state. I figure I’m going to talk a good deal about this woman for the next few letters so I’m going to give her a name for our conversation.

I name this friend Devium which is Latin for wayward.  If there is a way I could describe her life it would be that it is wayward so that is the best name I can give her.

In any case, Devium has a drive of some thousand miles ahead of her and I had it in my head to search for a home for her cats up in that area in the hope that I may drive for her, driving isn’t a thing Devium is good at, and it’s a good deal easier to drive that distance in one shot if you have company.

I spoke of this with Pickle and he was upset. He first tried to convince me not to go by arguing that if something happened to one of my cats he’d have to rely of PonyGirl to take them to the vet. As if owning cats meant that I could never leave the house.

Funny how Pickle can turn a moment in to something horrible. I mean, was he threatening my animals if I left or just upset that I wouldn’t be cooking for a few days. When you’ve live with a crisis for your whole life the way I have it’s easy to forget about it for a moment. Then it just comes crashing back into your head.

Stay safe, Little Sister,



Richard Leland Neal

No comments:

Post a Comment