Monday, January 27, 2014

Dark World


3th December 2011
Dear Cassi,
    
One of the largest parts of my young life was my brother’s insomnia. We would stay up all night, and he would tell stories of the ‘Dark World’ which was little more than a compilation of the TV shows he watched. Sunday morning cartoons came to life in his head and became mixed with horror films my father would show him.
    
Who shows Friday the 13th to a seven year old I have no idea, but old man Neal thought it was the right thing to do. I spent at least a decade of my life listing to every story of death, torture, and abuse that could come from the diseased mind of a pre to early teen horror film junky.
    
The worst of this was the lack of sleep that came along with these mental assaults. I would go to school with a head that felt like it was full of spiked led balls that I couldn’t hold up to save my life.
    
When I think about that it may have been the reason for my slow mental development. How can anyone grow up healthy when suffering from sleep deprivation? I can’t blame my brother for what he did back then, but I’m still angry that he refuses to take responsibility for things he did in his twenties.
    
The Dark World was the place where my earliest nightmares where born. It was a world no more or less obscene than our own but with all those horrific things lane out like puzzle pieces put together in a hellish mosaic.
    
You could say I have a dark mind, well, now you know why.


Stay safe, Cassi,

Richard Leland Neal

No comments:

Post a Comment