Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Kokoda Trail - Templeton’s Crossing

The next round of hiking was extremely difficult. Each short section of the steep climb made me think I had reached the peak of the mountain, only to find out that there was another peak up ahead. The continuous false peaks, burning calves and tight thighs felt eternal. This section of the trek is home to numerous leeches. These very thin black worms like to attach themselves to humans, get their fill until they’re fully bloated and then fall off, many of us, and I’m sure especially the soldiers, found these parasites aggravating. With my long pants tucked into my boots and a good dose of mosquito repellent on - apparently, they hate the chemical DEET in it - I pushed on until I made it to the actual peak of this section of the mountain. I gained 5,249ft (1600m) of altitude since I left Kokoda and I was standing at an elevation 6,266ft (1,910m). However, this wasn’t the highest point on this journey. That was yet to come.

Descending again through swampy creeks, the trail was slippery and boggy, making it hard on the knees. A couple of times, I had to climb over big fallen tree trunks, but I took the time to appreciate the beautiful red foliage of the Cordilyne Fruticosa as it dotted itself amongst the green jungle. 

I arrived at Templeton Crossing and just like Eora Creek, it was the site of two separate battles. The retreating Australians fought a short battle in September, but the bigger battle was during the counter-offensive in October.

Although ordered to withdraw, the Japanese were still very keen to capture Port Moresby. With well selected positions at Templeton, they lay in wait for the advancing Aussies. Not seeing the camouflaged machine gun muzzles until it was too late, the Aussies suffered severe casualties until they came back with fresh troops and managed to dislodge the Japanese and push them back to Eora Creek. 

Crossing yet another river, I climbed onto the single plank bridge and held onto the single rope, slowly and carefully walking over it. Once on the other side, I took a load off, had a bite to eat, refreshed myself and mentally prepared for the steep climb to the highest point on this trek.

PS. Experience our virtual challenges in real life - The Conqueror Adventures

The team at The Conqueror Challenges
https://www.theconqueror.events

No comments:

Post a Comment