Friday, June 9, 2023

Yosemite - Yosemite Falls

Passing Devil’s Elbow and El Capitan Picnic Areas, I turned off Northside Drive back into the valley and the meadows. Trekking along an unmarked path, my greatest joy was whenever I was walking beside the river, ever so peacefully flowing on its way.

I crossed the Swinging Bridge over the river which ironically was not swinging since it was made of solid wood. However, prior to 1965, crossing this part of the river was done on an actual swinging bridge made of narrow wood planks and a couple of cables holding it together. Any cheeky individual wanting a heart-pumping experience could jump up and down and swing side to side on the bridge so that anyone else on it would need to either lie down or hold tightly to the cables to keep from being tossed into the river. Although the spring floods posed the greatest danger, they could often damage or wash away the bridge. I prefer the safety of a solid bridge to admire the crystal-clear water below and Sentinel Dome above.

Back in the meadows I got my first glance of Yosemite Falls, powerfully plunging over the edge of the mountain. As the highest waterfall in the park, it drops a total of 2,425ft (739m) over three levels. The upper fall, which is what I saw from the meadow, makes up nearly half of the total drop. The middle section is made up of four smaller plunges and collectively named as the Middle Cascades. Given its location in a narrow gorge with limited access, the middle section is often overlooked and visible in only a small number of places. The lower falls is the smallest of the three and the most accessible.

Looking for a bit of adventure I tackled the arduous hike up to the upper falls. The 3mi (5km) ascent was on a steep trail through oak woodland. The terrain was rocky and uneven, filled with switchback after switchback. Staying on the path was mandatory as adjacent to the trail were many steep drops. The trail was difficult but my perseverance was rewarded with spectacular scenery from above the waterfall. I extended my hike to the nearby Yosemite Point where I had direct views of Half Dome and the nearby Lost Arrow Spire, a detached pillar that became a hotspot for highlining (slackline in high places) over the valley. In 1985, Scott Balcom became the first person in the world to successfully highline from one side to the other.

Taking in the panoramic views, I mentally photographed what I saw and understood why Ansel Adams would go to such lengths, climbing treacherous trails, carrying heavy camera equipment to capture the splendour of this park.



Footage of Scott’s 1985 highline: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6RYJFz1tqI&ab_channel=SlackDaddytools



PS. Experience our virtual challenges in real life - The Conqueror Adventures



The team at The Conqueror Challenges
https://www.theconqueror.events


No comments:

Post a Comment