Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Yosemite - Liberty Cap

Reaching the Half Dome Trailhead, I re-joined the John Muir Trail and made my way back to the start of my journey at Nevada Fall. Hiking through stunning woodland with the sun streaming amongst the leaves, I reflected on my last adventure hiking up the Half Dome. It took courage to tackle the cables and trust in my capabilities and fitness.

With a spring in my step and a smile on my face I returned to Nevada Fall. Adjacent to the fall was the imposing granite dome called Liberty Cap. The dome got its name in 1865 when the then California Governor thought its shape resembled the cap of liberty on the half-cent coin, the smallest US coin denomination that was minted between 1793 and 1857.

Right next to Liberty Cap was the slightly smaller dome called Mount Broderick with its rock climbing routes. It was named after David C Broderick, a US senator from California who was mortally wounded after being shot in a pistol duel following a disagreement with his opponent.

The summit of Liberty Cap was accessible from the northeast gully. Feeling brave enough, I tackled its rocky terrain with a little bit of scrambling to reach the top. Taking in the last of my aerial views and of course just a few more photos, I descended to the base and looked for an ideal spot to sit down and enjoy the end of my journey.

This journey seemed over all too soon. I truly understand why Galen Clark, John Muir, President Roosevelt, Ansel Adams and scores of other conservationists worked tirelessly and lobbied wholeheartedly to protect this pristine wilderness and keep it in its original condition as much as possible.

Farewell and see you on the next journey.



PS. Experience our virtual challenges in real life - The Conqueror Adventures



The team at The Conqueror Challenges
https://www.theconqueror.events

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment