Friday, November 11, 2022

My Dear Cousin - Time Off

                                                    10th May 2021

My Dear Cousin,

Where I left you in my last letter I was twenty two, unemployed, and too ill to go back to work. I had worked myself so hard that I had enough money in the bank to last for a few months, but unemployment benefits were out of the question.

For the one part, there is no pay for a man too sick to work, and for another, technology had made them difficult to get. Back then you had to verify job interviews and filling out an application on line was just not going to cut it.

I have to admit that for the first time in my life I had time to do things, and I went out a lot more for about four or five months. To be honest I had suffered trauma and I really needed the time off. It was hard for me to get back into work but eventually I ran out of money.

It didn’t help that the family was pounding on me to go back to work, but the last month there I couldn’t pay my bills so I took another security job. This was the year after the trade tower attack, and 9/11 left Americans wanting more security but not wanting to pay more for it. The economic troubles of the time didn’t help much.

When I got back working (Pony Girl) wanted me to pay her back for covering my bills. This was not for the one month that she did so but for the eight months I was out of work. I was furious, having put her up for free for her last two years of college, and I wanted to be compensated for that.

For the next four years I would struggle fiscally with (Pony Girl) always making demands on me wanting me to pay for things that I felt I shouldn’t have to until I graduated college. After all, when she was in college I paid for all home repairs for a home we three had the same responsibility to keep.

I was angry, and I felt abandoned. I asked myself if things could get any worse but the worst was indeed yet to come.

Best,

 

Richard Leland Neal

No comments:

Post a Comment