Monday, February 21, 2022

Lava Falls Rapids

 Now I can imagine that in 1923, when Emery Kolb “upset” his boat (a term used back then meaning flipped) by hitting a steep hole in the centre of the rapid, he indeed might have been upset. Lucky for him, Frank Dodge, another boatman and great swimmer jumped in and retrieved the boat. Since the rapid had no name, it was immediately bestowed with Upset Rapids.

After so much murky water, the milky-blue Havasu Creek tucked within Havasu Canyon was a welcome sight. Havasu Creek is the second largest tributary of the Colorado River and home to several spectacular waterfalls and a multitude of pools to swim in. The incredible blue colour was such a contrast to the brownness of the Colorado. Even more fascinating was the defined line where the two rivers met, with pale blue on one side and murky brown on the other.

A gentle cruise followed for several miles with a few mild rapids until I came across the most advanced one on this journey in the form of Lava Falls Rapid. In the centre of the entry point was a huge ledge hole with turbulent waves crashing into the hole. The strong current pushed around the sides of the ledge. Fierce lateral waves seethed and frothed seemingly ready to gobble me up.

 A feeling of trepidation hit me as my raft headed straight over the ledge into the hole. With the raft tilting to the right and partially submerged, the force of the oncoming wave was enough to flip the raft over and launch me into the river. The raft, caught in the water’s turbulence, was tossed around and around like a spit roast on speed. In the meantime, I surfaced and bobbed up and down, riding the waves, letting the current carry me forwards and out of the rapid. Once the raft cleared the hole, it followed me downstream where I was able to climb back onboard. As adrenaline coursed through me making my ears ring, I was delighted to have come out unscathed. This rapid may be super short but it packs a punch in those few seconds.


PS. Experience our virtual challenges in real life - The Conqueror Adventures



The team at The Conqueror Challenges
https://www.theconqueror.events

No comments:

Post a Comment