Friday, December 10, 2021

The Dales


 8th December 2018

Dear Cassi,

In my last letter I described the two tech heads that I left behind when I ended my friendship with your ex husband Turtle Nose. Neither of these men were much of a loss. At best Tech Tower was a fair weather friend and at worst Tech Mole was a party to Turtle Nose’s cruelty. 

Well, the main stage for this opera, if there where one, would be the home of a family I would call the Dales because, well, they are named after another geological feature. Of the Dales there were six, five now from what I hear, and they were a messed up bunch.

Old Man Dale was a plump jovial fellow who was always good to sit down and have a drink with. I had spent many an hour in his home drinking only to be polite after he lost his job with IBM. I have to say the part he would play in all this was the most painful. By now I had lost what family I had and he was the closest thing I had to that kind of relationship.

His wife I would call Blind Dale. She was legally blind but had eyes enough to see and move around. She could not know me by sight but could tell me by my voice. She was a plump little woman to fit her plump man for the most part that fit. Blind Dale was prone to fits of rage and would often lash out. She was good spirited for the most part when not angry.

They had two twins who I will call Beard and Chin.  Chin is the one who died of cancer. Beard was the rude fellow who was always too loud. Beard Dale was the kind of man who would start screaming if you talked about cannibals. He felt that the world should know cannibals better I guess. Like his mother he was prone to outbursts.

Then there was the younger son, Beefy Dale, Beefy was the fellow who you thought was gay. You may recall that at one time he wanted to be a policeman. Last I heard he wanted to be a doctor. He was a hard man to deal with because he was always showing off and dumb as a stump. Beard would say that Beefy’s natural state of being was to be in his boxers. His state of conversation often lead to him taking off his shirt to show his work in the gym.

Last of the Dales was Fire Dale, who I name because of her attitude and that fact that of all the Dales she is the one to keep her red hair. The others let it go dark, or in the case of Beefy Dale, dyed theirs black. Fire Dale was also known for being in a half state of dress as jeans and a bra was her normal garb. I never said much to her, she kept rude company anyway.

Know your family, little sister,

 

Richard Leland Neal

No comments:

Post a Comment