Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Kamala Harris’ Debate

 

On the 8th of October I ran into a post on FaceBook by LATIMES.com about the vise presidential debate that read “Kamala Harris’ Debate was for every woman who’s been talked over by a man.” I honestly feel that Harris is a person like any other and that gender should have been left out of the debate. Think of it this way, it would be rude to go up to a woman firefighter and say “you’ve done well for a girl”. She has done well regardless of gender. I expressed my opinion and the following is a copy of that post

 

Richard Leland Neal: “Kamala Harris' debate was for every American, and every citizen of the free world.”

Barry Hebb: “Richard Leland Neal, hardly”

Richard Leland Neal: “Barry Hebb, Wipe the orange off your mouth when you say that!” 

Barry Hebb: “Richard Leland Neal, resorting to hurling insults does not strengthen your case.”

Richard Leland Neal: “Barry Hebb, Not making a case to start with just makes you rude to start with. Do you have a point to make?” 

Barry Hebb: “Richard Leland Neal, I already made it. Pence shut her down. That's why you directed your comments towards me. You have no good rebuttal.  

Richard Leland Neal: “Barry Hebb: Permit me to express myself neatly, if you say “Trump is a good president,” and I say “Hardly” I am being rude and regardless of any other fact an insult is the correct social response. However, if I say “worst economy since the great depression, 200,000 Americans dead” I have then engaged you in a debate. It would be your opportunity to refute me. 

“Now let us examine the Pence/Harris debate. As you put it “Pence shut Harris down”. This is objectively wrong; Pence interrupted Harris, because he could not win on talking points. In any college or high school debate class Pence would have failed because he refused to obey the rules. Now if you’re going to say ‘this isn’t a college class’ I would say ‘you’re right, this should be held to higher scrutiny’.

“To win a debate one must defeat an opponent’s argument. To defeat an opponent’s argument they must make that argument. You may be siding with Pence, because you agree with him but the truth is that he lost the debate.”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment