Wednesday, June 3, 2015

The Last Few Days

1st September 2013
Dear Cassi,

For the last few days the pounding heat has stalled me from whatever work I set myself to with all my tries to rest quashed by the stink of my own fluids. The nature of my situation and the fact that I can make no relief pressed this into a stinging wound the pain from which drove me on like a whip drives a horse.

My feet are swelling now and my salt stains almost everything around me. This has given me only the ability to limp along in my labors, but it was yesterday in the lap of the heat that I found strength and began drawing my comic. It is today that I battled the heat in processing the finished drafts to post and as the last was tagged, scheduled, and listed the pounding heat gave way to some welcome cool.

I spent some time on the lawn with the cats as the house cools to match the outside air. For the first time in months I felt something was right with the world. This is one of the deluding moments where a person feels as if they have felt that click that changes everything.
       
Today was a minor victory but ten days of this level of productivity would still fall very short of my goals. In life we always try to find the easy way but there just isn’t that sort of thing.

Never stop fighting, little sister,



Richard Leland Neal

No comments:

Post a Comment