Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Rich but Lacking



This was a book review I wrote that was taken down because the book was removed from the website. I think the author get a bit ticked that I didn’t like his book and returned the favor by writing me a bad review. Give that the website in question used review to decide if a book should be published or not I guess I was keeping him from a paycheck. Alternately, if I was giving him good advice he should have thanked me and better attended his story. Was I to hard on him?

Some Time in 2014

‘The Thrumble’ by (Author)

I’ve read the prologue and first two chapters of this novel and feel it’s time for a kneejerk review. I reserve the right to review this book again once I have read the whole thing, but I believe this review will be helpful.

There is a deep richness to this text of Thrumble and a clear high level of thought. Unfortunately, what is missing is the polished execution of this splendid idea.

I read another review comparing this to the Diskworld series which is one of the largest and most popular in modern times. Well, Diskworld started with a description of the world or at least the great turtle it spins on and the four elephants that serve as bearings on her back. The Trumble starts with an examination of ruins that we are given no indication of being even near Thrumble. Further on that, what is the Thrumble? By the end of chapter two we get that it’s a living building of some kind and that two entities of great magic maintain this building. What is so living about brick and plaster I couldn’t tell you. I’m sure that if I read the whole thing I would understand what the Thrumble is but unless this is a big reveal later in the text then I would have to say there would be more explanation and description early on.

Another place I need more information is who and what are the Rangers? They look to be something like this world’s Jedi in form and function. In Star Wars we knew as much as Luke did about the Jedi, but the main character is almost a full Ranger and we know almost nothing about the order.

As the reader I feel like there is a lot for me to get in my head and very little time spend on each of these things to get it there as the story moves on. I feel the characters, objects, and motives involved in this story need to be fleshed out before its publication.

No comments:

Post a Comment