Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Elmer’s Time Machine



7th December 2011
Dear Cassi,
   
Today as I was sifting through the piles of now dirty clothes waiting for my new washer to come I recalled the old black coat I used the first time I preformed in a play. That’s how memories work in my head mind you. It must have been all the black shirts and pants.
   
I believe the coat in question originally belonged to my brother and was purchased for him when he was twelve. It fit big on my eight year old frame at the time. I was playing Alfred Nobel the man who invented dynamite and started the Nobel Peace Prize.
   
The coat probably was nothing like the ones he wore save for the color. Not to say that they gave me much of Noble’s appearance. From what I can see he had a thick black beard.
   
The play was called “Elmer’s Time Machine” and it was about a little boy who went through time running into great people. I think I had two lines, but it still brings a smile to my face.
   
We had some thing with baking soda that was supposed to be an explosion because Elmer had found the exact moment Nobel had first gotten an explosion out of his experiment. I only figured that out some years later because the explosion was so pathetic. Then it was a crowd of parents watching their children an easy audience.
   
When all is said and done there were some good moments back then. I wouldn’t go back to that time in my life for anything, but it wasn’t all bad.

Stay safe, Cassi,


Richard Leland Neal

No comments:

Post a Comment