Monday, July 1, 2013

Bitter Feelings


10th July 2012
Dear Cassi,
       
The most frustrating part of my life has to be that small things that should never be an issue tend to be a major production. Such has been the case with the dishes. On Sunday Pickles said he had done no dishes for two days. I started them after he went to sleep and, taking them twenty minutes at a run, was still washing by six in the evening. I’ll grant that somewhere in there I slept, I cooked; I did homework, and laundry. Still I had to run the wash twice and wash most of it by hand.
       
This left a bitter feeling in my gut and so when I returned home from work I had no want for food and went directly to bed. I awoke at three in the hot afternoon and a pile of dishes already waited in the sink. It was the plastic containers I had put frozen food in so that Pickles would stop disgracing my kitchen with his cooking.
       
At four thirty I made smoothies. The hot California air had dried my throat and made me lethargic in my movements. I started this meal with red wine and berries which I made into a froth so thick it had to be eaten with a spoon. This revived Pickles and I some and gave us strength.
       
The next serving was simpler, just cantaloupe and coconut water. I cut and froze that cantaloupe when it was fresh and sweet so that the smoothie was a hair away from the melon. With this I felt new life. The frozen nectar of fruit gave me some relief from the heat and so I set about the house work again.
       
My life is a grind but who’s isn’t these days. In the end I have to understand that if I want to live in a clean house it just has to be up to me. The fact that out of Pickles and I only one works is irrelevant.

Stay strong, little sister,


Richard Leland Neal

No comments:

Post a Comment