Monday, May 2, 2011

Honesty is a Fool’s Fame

This is a letter that never got mailed, but I mailed one like it and it cost me my job. Honesty is a fool’s fame, and this was straight from the heart. I thought better of sending this letter and had forgotten about it until I was asked to stay home one day so I didn’t get over time.

I had worked at this place for a few years as a Security Officer contracted from another company. Then they had changed guard companies following a buyout. Needless to say, this is a complicated situation involving four companies and a lot of angry guards.  

I was still a fool for saying anything about my feelings for the new guard company. It’s true that if the company had listened they would have saved money in the long run. They cut their nose off to spite their face, but then, so did I.

22nd April, 2007
         
Mr. (Security Director),

I’m the security officer you met at (a truck terminal) last Monday. I noted in the new post orders procedures that bring security personnel into harm’s way. Moreover, the hiring standards of this new security company are unacceptable. They do not require a high school diploma.  

Had you stood in that guard house and spat in my face you would not have insulted me as much as you have by believing officers of such poor quality can do my job. These officers cost (the shipping company) hundreds a day in driver overtime. That will rise to thousands when freight volumes increase.

Over the last two and a half years I have received countless reports of inconsistent security procedures across the country. Some of these reports are as severe as guards not logging inbound loads at all. 

I have fought (the old shipping company) and now (the shipping company) for the last two and a half years to secure adequate conditions for security officers at (my terminal). Sir, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result. That describes both my attitude toward you as a client and your attitude toward security companies.

What’s needed at every one of your terminals is a long standing relationship with security officers who are adequately paid. I cannot even begin to resolve your problems with security until I have a stable reliable crew of guards willing to do the job.

Let me inform you that your facility is the first I have worked for under (My security company) that paid its post supervisor less than sixteen dollars an hour. The industry average pay for Security Officers in the United States is thirteen dollars an hour.

I don’t believe you need this level of pay. However, security companies will give you what you pay for not what you need.

Honestly,


Richard Leland Neal

No comments:

Post a Comment