Monday, May 8, 2023

Trek to Petra - Wadi Malaga

Preparing for the day ahead, I indulged in a hearty breakfast of falafel, hummus and pita bread. Topping up with coffee and replenishing my water bottle, I headed out for the next 5mi (8km) to Wadi Malaga campsite.

The trail was flat and completely desert. Wide open spaces devoid of vegetation abounded. I passed a small settlement, a local mosque and a local camp where I veered off bypassing the village of Feynan.

Passing Bedouin shepherds tending their herd, we exchanged warm greetings. Bedouin people are known to be friendly and hospitable. It was not long before I found myself seated in a Bedouin camp enjoying a sweet tea. Slowly brewing in a kettle over a small fire, the tea was a base of black tea leaves together with dried sage, cardamom pods, cinnamon bark and a good dose of raw sugar which gave it the very sweet flavour.

Crossing several dry riverbeds and a dried up reservoir I reached the Wadi Malaga Campsite. With a little bit of shelter from nearby hills, I took a moment to rest, rehydrate and replenish my energy stores with a snack. From here the next stage of my trek was an 8mi (13km) stretch to Ras Al-Feid for an overnight stop.

PS. Experience our virtual challenges in real life - The Conqueror Adventures



The team at The Conqueror Challenges
https://www.theconqueror.events




No comments:

Post a Comment