Saturday, January 13, 2018

How the Stars Fell into the Sky by Jerrie Oughton Book Review


"How the Stars Fell Into the Sky" by Jerrie Oughton is a telling of a Navajo legend about the placement of the constellations. Permit me to be clear that I have little understanding of how to address this story because I have no idea how the Navajo think of the tale. They could think of it as part of their religion or they could think of it as just a folk story. I have no intention of insulting their tradition. 

That said, the first woman is setting the stars in the sky in order to record the laws for all the people to see and so know them well.  Then Coyote arrives and tries to help but in his haste throws the stars into the sky preventing her from writing the laws. 

You can see this as a cautionary tail about letting the wrong people help you or as point about getting a job done right or not doing it at all. From a story standpoint I rather liked this book. I found it entertaining.  

Further along these lines, the book is well crafted with rich artwork and a strong spine. 

Who should read this book: Everyone

Books Read: 41 of 5000

No comments:

Post a Comment