Wednesday, December 12, 2012

A Life Too Full



24th November 2011
Dear Cassi,

   
One of the many things we have in common is working long hours. As the New Year brings me back into full time employee and full time student this would be a time to say a few words.  
   
What was it that fellow said to you? “Two jobs breaks the soul.” I will never understand the mentality of people who think that because they have a slogan for something it must be true. I like to define truisms as those things that become obvious once pointed out. A slogan is a philosophy that one must take up by their own volition. You should tell this man that his soul must be a fragile thing.
   
I know folks with two jobs and I know folks with three jobs, but none of them need to apologize for living in a world where those things are needed. True, there are those of us that live in a dream world and will never see the world for what it is even when they get slapped in the face with all the pain and suffering.
   
It has always been helpful to me to see those sleep walkers for what they are and press into the nature of my soul the values that will bring me round right. Those of us who decide to live their lives in a dream may never wake, but for the wakeful we must give those dreamers little mind.
   
It’s funny how we were taught for the whole of our lives that it’s good to dream. I will grant you that working toward impossible goals will keep a soul from going stagnant, but living in a world of dreams takes a stagnant soul. For some folks life is easy, for us life is hard, but so long as we have the will to fight there is still hope.

Stay safe, Cassi,

Richard Leland Neal

No comments:

Post a Comment