Monday, November 30, 2020

I am Bettering Lives

12th June 2020

Dear (Social Service Provider),

Over the past year and a half I’ve been sent to a number of worksites ranging from truck lots to homeless shelters, and that’s where I ran into your company. I have always taken great pride in working with the homeless population, and many of my clients say they feel safer working with me than with other members of my team.

In the last week I have been complimented on keeping calm, and conducting myself with consistency and care. It isn’t always easy to keep your cool when you’re dealing with a mental health issue, but I always tell myself that adding anger to the situation will only make it worse. As a result, I’m often called to deal with difficult residents. 

However, in the cores of my employment the company feels I am more valuable to them working with large trucks rather than with our homeless population. To me, this work is just not as satisfying. 

When I work with the homeless I’m often told how I am bettering lives. My residents tell me how I help them get sober or find what they need to get a job. When I work with trucks they tell me I keep the yard in good order. It’s just not the same.

Now, I know I’m applying for a temporary position. My work in security will always be there for me when I’m finished, and if I miss my sixty hour work weeks I’m sure they will be willing to throw me a shift from time to time.

Don’t get me wrong, I like what I do, I just feel I can do something with more meaning.

 

Best,


Richard Leland Neal


 

No comments:

Post a Comment