Wednesday, December 14, 2022

My Dear Cousin - My Aunt’s Estate

26th May 2021

My Dear Cousin,

Here comes the point that I’ve been dreading. This could be the dumbest or most evil thing I’ve done in my life. In hindsight, well, I should have said no to the whole thing. You may recall that at some point one of our aunts died, and she, having no children, meant a part of her estate to go to my family.

What I got out of that was about fifty thousand dollars. I recall my two siblings getting their checks first and my (Pickle) and I both thinking that I was going to get shortchanged. I had honestly been treated that badly by family over the years. It just wasn’t all that odd an idea for me to get cut out of my aunt’s estate, but the next day the check came and those fears disappeared.

I remember that at this point I went out and bought a car. It was a Honda Civic, and I got it used. I had replaced a good amount of my computer equipment and updated a number of things. I mean, the dumbest thing I had spent money on was trying to get my old car to stop leaking transmission fluid which ended up destroying the car.

Anyway, I had a little over half the money from the inheritance left when a valve went out in the front bathroom. You see, we had galvanized pipes which rust on the inside and gum up your valves and I had replaced almost every valve in the house at this point.

I remember getting that bad valve off was hard. I would spray it with WD-40 and tap it with a hammer. Then I’d try to get it off the pipe and when it wouldn’t come I would spray it again and let it sit for an hour. I think it took six hours to get it off but that was worth the work to let me work on the toilet.

Anyway, (Pickle) figured that we needed to remodel the bathrooms. I think he just figured that I had money, and he should spend it before I did. They always figured I was bad with money which could be one reason why they never gave me much of it even if they owed it to me.

I didn’t think things through and I agreed to have the place remodeled. One of the dumbest things I’ve ever done. I’ll save the next dumb thing for my next letter.

Best,

 

Richard Leland Neal

No comments:

Post a Comment