Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Mt Kilimanjaro - New Pofu Camp


 As I continued on with the hike through the forest the trail gradually steepened crossing several streams.  Rounding the northern slope of the Shira Ridge at 3937ft (3600m), I emerged from the rainforest onto the expansive Shira Plateau descending 328ft (100m).  The pace has slowed to help with acclimatisation.

The Shira Plateau stretches over 8mi (13km) at an elevation of 12,998ft (3962m).  It was originally one of the three volcanic cones and the first volcano to die out.  About half a million years ago, Shira collapsed in upon itself creating a caldera.  When the Kibo cone exploded 360,000 years ago for the last time, the lava and debris filled the Shira caldera turning it into the plateau it is today.  Dark lava rock was visible as I hiked my way across it.  

A heather and moorland zone, the plateau was filled with grasses, wild flowers and the unusual looking ‘Dendrosenecio kilimanjari’ a giant flowering plant from the sunflower family.  Another beautiful and endemic plant to Tanzania found on the plateau was the ‘Lobelia deckenii”.  Growing for several decades with multiple rosettes, the Lobelia produces one large inflorescence and hundreds of thousands of seeds, then dies. Due to the multiple rosettes the plant continues to reproduce and flower repeatedly. 

Making my way over the plateau, I crossed more streams and large boulders whilst Kibo majestically loomed in the distance awaiting my arrival. 

Reaching the intersection of Lemosho Route and the Northern Circuit, I swung a left turn and commenced my circumnavigational trek around the top quarter of Kili heading north.  The terrain is quite arid with very low and desert-like vegetation slowly moving towards the alpine desert zone.

The elevation ascends and descends approximately 656ft (200m) hovering between 13,779-14,435ft (4200-4400m) for most of this northern route.  Being the newest trail it was very quiet indeed. 

Reaching New Pofu Camp late afternoon, I settled into my tent awaiting another feast to fill my belly and refuel.  Looking forward to another soup, a casserole this time and finishing with a nice hot cuppa.  From here I had magnificent views into Kenya’s wild lands to the north.

No comments:

Post a Comment