Wednesday, March 30, 2016

After the Doctor

First of the new year 2014
Dear Cassi,

So where was I? A client had come it drunk, gone nuts, and left me bleeding with my office a mess. It was only then that the supervisor came in and told me that I was bleeding.

I told her that the police were on their way, and then I documented things as best I could. The supervisor called my boss and he said that I should leave at once for the hospital, but I insisted on waiting for the police.

I’m glad I waited because the violent client came back and stood at the door watching me expecting to be let in. I can’t say as to why she didn’t force the door the way she did before, but maybe it just failed to close right.

The supervisor on duty asked me to pull up a picture of the client for the police then looked at my broken computer and said ‘I guess you can’t’. It sounds funny now but it wasn’t at the time.

The police came and asked me questions. They asked about what happened and the nature of the program. I was surprised because those officers had been to the shelter before. I mentioned this to them and they said that normally staff had not be so ‘polite’ as I. I guess they always wanted to know about the program but had never asked due to the rudeness of staff.

You have to ask what goes through people’s heads when the police arrive. Me, I was happy to see them, but then I called them. They finished up with me, and I drove off to the hospital. I spent an hour in the emergency room waiting and an hour after the doctor  saw me for some test results then I came back to work with the paperwork from the hospital.  

My boss was sitting at the front desk and was hoping that I’d finish my shift, but the night had been enough for me, and I was on my way home.

Stay safe, little sister,


Richard Leland Neal

No comments:

Post a Comment